Oil Stick Intensive
A technique workshop suitable for all levels- 1 day
Have you wondered what an oil stick is & how you use it with textiles? Get all your questions answered in this hands on workshop with art quilter Sue Dennis who has been using oil sticks in her work for the last 10 years. Have fun while you produce your own unique fabric with visual texture & patterning to use in future projects. Please note- no sewing in this class.
Also see: Oilstick Intensive Student Gallery
Paint sticks, rubbing plates & numerous found objects for rubbing supplied. Materials fee/person applies
Download Oil Stick Intensive Requirements List (174 KB pdf)
Please note- Originality is encouraged and assisted by Sue, so student’s finished work will not necessarily be the same as class samples. In the workshop we will work with fat quarters approximately 50cm [20”] square rather than yardage. Photographs above are examples of the technique covered in class
FABRIC & EQUIPMENT
- 5-8 fat quarters cotton fabric, some light & some dark backgrounds. Fabric without a definite pattern is better. Optional- bring some small pieces of silk & fabric with a texture if you have these in your stash.
- Newspaper- to cover your working area
- Apron or coverall
- Disposable gloves- optional
- Wet wipes for hands
- Roll of greaseproof paper [non-waxed lunch wrap]
- Notebook, pen, nametag & coffee mug