A project & technique workshop- 2 days. Suitable for all skill levels.
Have you ever wanted a garden that didn’t need watering, fertilizing, pruning or mulching? Well this is the one for you. Stitch your garden trellis & then make tiles to hang on the trellis in numerous configurations. Change your display easily depending on your mood or season. Techniques covered include- Broderie Perse, dimensional leaves, appliqué, painted fusible, couching, soluble thread work, texturisation with free motion quilting & embellishing.
Trellis pieces are 6” wide & either 24” or 18” long. Tiles are 4” x 7” & 4” x 10”.
Also see: Garden Trellis AQC 2010 Student Gallery
Wash away, No.16 machine needle & 1 small paint pot supplied.
Materials fee per person applies.
Download Garden Trellis Requirements List (147 KB pdf)
Photographs are examples of various combinations.
- 1 m green motley 100% cotton fabric for front & back
- 55cm x 65cm piece of thin wadding
- 1.7m black narrow [2cm wide] Velcro [hook & loop] to stitch on
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
- Sewing machine & open toe walking foot & regular machine needles
- Green thread for top stitching & sewing
- Pins & scissors
- Large glue stick
Select a theme & background colours for the garden tiles eg ‘Tropical’- bright colours, ‘Autumn’- rust/golden colours, ‘Cottage garden’- pastel colours. Include 1 motif e.g. leaves, butterflies, roses, bugs, sunflowers.
- 3 pieces of background fabric 56cm x 36cm [22” x 14”]
- 3 pieces of thin wadding to fit the background fabric
- 3 pieces iron on interfacing to fit the background fabric
- 25cm [10”] square piece of fabric with motifs for Broderie Perse
- 1m fusible web
- 25cm [10”] square piece of fabric for leaves
- 15cm [6”] square of thin wadding for leaves
- 3 pieces tile backing fabric 56cm x 36cm [22” x 14”]
- Sewing machine with free motion foot & open toe walking foot
- Cotton & rayon variegated machine embroidery threads, metallic thread if desired
- Quilting gloves if you use them
- 6” plastic embroidery hoop
- Fluffy knitting yarn for couching
- Plastic tray or plate for a paint palette & 1” wide foam brush
- Small yoghurt pot or similar for water
- Optional- disposable gloves, wet wipes for cleaning hands
- Iron & ironing board
- Name tag, notebook & coffee mug